Frequently asked questions
The MedTech Actuator Program
- Can you describe the MedTech Actuator™ program?
The MedTech Actuator™ is designed to address the three primary startup risk factors – technology, capital access, team capability – and is divided into three phases. The first two phases (months 1–6) consist of sprints and off-sprint time. You’ll spend 3–5 days of each month in an intensive sprint with your colleagues, learning from industry experts. During non-sprint weeks you’ll be free to work on your startup full-time — implementing what you’ve learnt. You’ll access the MedTech Actuator’s network of industry mentors and work towards agreed milestones.
At the end of phase 2, you’ll present to investors and key ecosystem members in Singapore and Australia at Demo Day. After Demo Day, you’ll embark on nine months of self-structured, intensive growth with full access to our industry mentors and ecosystem partners — and support for your fundraising activities.
- What benefits do startups get from participating in the program?
- Participating in the MedTech Actuator™ will de-risk your startup. The MedTech Actuator™ is designed to equip you with the skills, network and resources you need to successfully navigate the complex life sciences commercialisation pathway. You’ll learn from industry experts and draw from our experience and knowledge so that your startup has the best chance of success. You will partner with world-leading product development companies that house engineers, designers, regulatory and scale-up manufacturing experts to radically advance your technology. We will support you in developing a tailored fundraising strategy to access our network of venture capital firms, angel investors, and corporate venture funds.
- turbocharge your startup. We’ve designed the MedTech Actuator™ for maximum speed and efficiency. Together we’ll create milestones for your startup that get you to market faster. You’ll be surrounded with the all the expertise, resources, and infrastructure your MedTech, HealthTech or BioTech startup needs so you can focus on building your company.
- What does a typical day for a founder in the MedTech Actuator™ look like?
During sprint weeks, you’ll work on IP, building your team, product development, regulatory pathways, reimbursement strategy and your go-to-market strategy. You’ll stress test your strategies with experts and be inspired by fellow entrepreneurs and those further in their journey. Each day in sprint week is intensive by design, to give you momentum and get you that much closer to your next value inflection point.
In off-sprint weeks, you’ll work with your team members towards key milestones from wherever makes the most sense for you — one of our coworking spaces or anywhere where else that suits you. You’ll work with industry mentors, apply what you’ve learnt in sprint weeks, refine your strategy and grow your company.
- What are the attendance requirements?
We have structured an intense program that meets each team where they are at. The MedTech Actuator™ requires the full-time participation of someone core to your team.
- How is the MedTech Actuator™ different to other programs?
We specialise in MedTech, HealthTech and BioTech. We understand regulatory pathways, IP and reimbursement models and have powerful relationships with advanced manufacturing companies, the biggest global medical technology corporations and life sciences focused investor groups.Read more about What makes us different
- Where should I be based to be eligible to participate in the MedTech Actuator™ and where is the program delivered?
You can be based anywhere in Asia Pacific and in your off-sprint weeks, you can work from anywhere in the world. You’ll have access to co-working spaces in Melbourne and Singapore and sprints are located in Sydney, Melbourne and Singapore.
The Application Process
- Am I eligible?
Our program is targeted at MedTech, HealthTech and BioTech startups at TRL 4 and above. Our specialty is deep tech with robust IP and a regulated path to market. Slick apps and user interfaces are great, but what gets us excited are radical new technologies like bionics, diagnostics, implants, instrumentation, robotics, personal preventative medicine, telemedicine, AI and VR that will create a step-change in our healthcare systems and economies.
If you are unsure about eligibility or have any other questions about our program, you can submit an expression of interest contact to speak to a Program Manager before submitting an application.
- What is the application process?
A summary of the information you’ll need to submit can be found here apply. If your application is shortlisted, our expert panel will begin due diligence on your company, and you’ll hear from us to set up a video interview. The most promising teams will be selected to present to our Investment Advisory Board. Based on the decision of this board, you’ll be offered a place in the MedTech Actuator™.
- Should I reapply if I am told ‘no’?
Yes. Sometimes we say no to companies because they are too early in their journey to extract full value from the MedTech Actuator™ program. Often these companies are good candidates for our early-stage pitch competition, the MedTech Actuator™ Origin. The MedTech Actuator™ Origin will provide you with access to industry mentors and the opportunity to refine your technology and business model. It is free to enter and provides 5 winners with a small cash prize to further develop their startup. If you’ve continued to develop your company and technology — either within the MedTech Actuator™ Origin or on your own — you should consider reapplying for the MedTech Actuator™.
- How do you choose which companies to accept into the MedTech Actuator™?
We focus on team, market, technology, and traction.
- Team: We look for passionate, well rounded founder teams with strong skills in key areas such as technology, clinical, business and commercialisation that have a unique insight into their market and are high-integrity and inspiring leaders with a focus on execution.
- Market: We like markets within the MedTech, HealthTech and BioTech sectors that are either large but ripe for disruption or underserved or so radically new they don’t yet exist.
- Technology: Our specialty is deep tech with a regulated path to market. We look for technologies and products with the potential to create an unfair market advantage and a clear path towards strong, protectable IP.
- Traction: Ideas matter but execution makes the difference. That is why we like to see evidence of early traction or data points validating your core assumptions such as an early proof of concept and safety data, a robust need validation, or expressions of interest from lead users or customers.
- What are your investment terms and participation fees?
We receive a 5% equity stake in your company in exchange for participation in the MedTech Actuator.
Participants in the MedTech Actuator™ are eligible for up to $200,000 investment in return for up to 20% equity through our seed fund — equating to 1% equity for every $10,000. Investment is typically split into two tranches. The first tranche of $50,000 happens at the beginning of the program while the second tranche of up to $150,000 is triggered after meeting certain predefined milestones. Investment is optional for accepted startups but we find that most participating teams choose to make use of this opportunity.
The program fee and the seed investment terms are the same for all startups.
- We don’t need funding; can we still get participate in the program?
Yes, absolutely. Investment through the MedTech Actuator™ seed fund is optional for startups participating in the program. There is no obligation to seek investment from the MedTech Actuator™ seed fund.
- Why does the MedTech Actuator™ take equity in the companies?
The 5% participation fee is what makes our 15-month ‘one of its kind’ program possible. It aligns the MedTech Actuator’s interests with your interests and incentivises us to push harder and go the extra mile for our founders – well beyond the duration of the program.
- How much can I expect to raise after demo day?
After demo day you will be raising a seed round with external investors. The size of the round differs from startup to startup and will depend on the potential that investors see in your company. Typically, MedTech Actuator™ startups raise between $500k and $1M post demo day.
The MedTech Actuator™ will be actively supporting you on your fundraising journey post demo day by helping you with fundraising strategy development, investor outreach activities, preparing you for a series A raise at the end of the 15-month program and through follow-on investment via its seed and later stage funds.